As per Kicker, Bayern Munich defender and French international Benjamin Pavard is looking for a way out of the Allianz arena in Munich and Barcelona looks to be a preferred destination, according to transfer guru Fabrizio ‘Here we go’ Romano. However, do we need him? Or will Pavard be a good signing?
Table of contents
Barcelona are now showing concrete interest in Benjamin Pavard for summer transfer window. He’s considered one of the potential targets, depending on the conditions. 🔵🔴 #FCB— Fabrizio Romano (@FabrizioRomano) January 8, 2023
Pavard’s contract expires in 2024 and contacts with Barça already took place, as German press reported. pic.twitter.com/pCbP0oS7Ym
Looking into the financial aspect, this seems a very solid deal as Pavard’s contract at Bayern ends in 2024, with him hesitant to sign an extension. Therefore if we are to sign him in the immediate transfer window, it would be for a very low amount comparatively. For that amount, getting a 26-year-old defender approaching his peak is an absolute bargain.
Pavard’s preferred position is right back and Center back and can fit in a back four as a right back and as a right center back and can fit in a back three as a right center back seamlessly. Though his pace is a bit lacking, he has excellent positioning and never backs away from making a challenge. While attacking output is not the best, he does possess a good cross and can hit a goal from long as well, with his specialty being volleys. ( who can ever forget his 2018 world cup goal of the tournament).
It’s official! Benjamin Pavard’s stunning volley against Argentina has been chosen as the 2018 FIFA World Cup Goal of the Tournament! pic.twitter.com/1SK6QmwNce— FOX Soccer (@FOXSoccer) July 25, 2018
Pros of signing Pavard
- For a relatively cheap price, Barcelona will be obtaining an experienced defender approaching his peak. Having won the world cup with France as well as the champions league with Bayern Munich, with him playing starting roles in both, settling into the quality of football in Catalonia won’t be a difficult task at all for the Frenchman.
- Barcelona will also obtain another versatile defender who can switch between positions and provide cover for each, in case of injuries (which of course, never happens at Barcelona).
- Another important factor is his relationship with the players. Having played with Lewandowski at Bayern, he is no stranger to the movements and positioning of Lewandowski in attacking play. Ousmane Dembele and Jules Kounde are two more players he already acquaints, with them being French teammates.
- When considering his playing style, if we utilise him as a center back, We have on our hands an excellent ball playing as well as a rough tackling presence in the back, who can also join in the attack from time to time and unleash a shot or two. If we play him as a right-back, we get a defensively sound player who although lacks pace, makes up for it with his positioning. This can also be a blessing in disguise to allow Balde to join the attack on the opposite wing.
- A bonus advantage is that he is an effective threat at set pieces, with his strength and height.
Cons of signing Pavard
- Although he is a world-class player, we already have players who can play the same positions in Araujo and Kounde, the latter benching Pavard in the French national team for the world cup. It would make much more sense to go for a natural right back with the little money we do possess.
- One of the reasons he is not extending with Bayern is due to his preference to play as a center back, an area in which they have ample players. The same holds true for Barcelona, who have an adequate number of center-backs, particularly right center back.
- In terms of his playing style, his lack of pace might be a big issue as the Blaugrana usually depend on their fullbacks joining in the attack and making overlapping runs.
- There also have been reports of disciplinary issues regarding Pavard in the French camp at the world cup, especially after him being benched. He could prove to be a negative influence on the locker room.
Everything you need to know about Barcelona target Dortmund Wonderkid Moukoko
What do you all think about this interesting transfer?
Let us know in the comments down below.